View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
TAZ23

We also bought a new Outback this year (320BH) and keep it on a seasonal sight. I built a platform and steps for ours so I can tell you how I did it but keep in mind it can be done several different ways.
First I would sugest that you step out of the trailer onto a platform or deck if you want to call it that. (4 foot by 4 foot at least) .The reason for this is when you open the door you will want to be able to step right in. If the steps go right up to the trailer you would need to go up and open the door and then step back down to swing the door out and then go back in.
The stair stringers can be found at most any lumber yard and home improvement stores. This makes it much easier as they are pre-cut and easy to use. You will need to measure the distance from the trailer floor to the ground to know how many steps you will need.
I used 2x6's for the frame and 5/4 deck boards for the stairs and deck. I also used 4x4's for the corner posts
If you want them to be temporary and take them apart in the fall then put them together using lag bolts which can be reused many times.
Also do not sink the posts into the ground. I have mine on 2x6's layed flat.
to fasten the deck boards use deck screws not nails. Always use treated wood so it will not rot. The whole set up can be put up and taken down in a half an hour, and it is much easier than using those skinny fold out trailer steps.
I will take some pictures of my set up this weekend, but we wont be back until wednesday night
shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote