View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We have the rear bumper pull-out and have used it for packing 2 bikes. I have drilled two more holes in the track so that I do not have to pull it out all the way before it locks in place giving me more clearance than if it were fully extended. The vertical post by itself is a poor excuse for a support and I have modified it. Others have made modifications to this "bike rack" as well.

We have done a lot of camping at places without hookups - including state and provincial parks and have made out very well. Making wise use of your power consumption and water supply are the most important suggestions I would make now and would suggest others if you send me a PM. We have solar power coupled with golf cart batteries which, with prudent use of power, we can go for as long as our water lasts ,we can get enough sunlight for the solar panels and our holding tanks are still capable of "holding".
We also take a small generator along for emergency use but really don't like using it in a campground.

Keeping comfortable without an A/C depends in large part where you plan on camping. If you are going to be spending time in hot, dry or hot, humid areas, one or two 12v fans may not be enough to keep you comfortable. We don't spend much time in those areas and in the summer, we make good use of 2 FanTastic fans (12v)- one in the living area and the other in the bedroom.
You can Google "dry camping" or "Boon docking" and find all sorts of info about camping without power and/or water.
Sorry, I can't give you any info about which tow vehicle you should get other than to say do some research, find out all the weights numbers you need to know and get a TV that will safely pull whatever you decide to buy.

The "which tow vehicle should I get question" has been submitted here very often (some will say too often) and will always generate a lively and sometimes heated discussion. You might want to do a forum search using our search feature. Posts about this topic can be found in the Towing and Tow Vehicle section of the forum.