View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSCCI View Post
I do not believe in unnecessary maintenance.
With only 3000 miles on it in less than 2 years I am not worried in the least.

However, the Boy Scout in me wants to Be Prepared, and I have not been able to find any specs or manufacturer recommendations regarding axle maintenance.

So maybe I asked the wrong question to this group.

What is the manufacturer recommendation for brake and bearing inspection and maintenance on this rig?

Or, lacking any specific manufacturer recommendations, what is a 'rule of thumb' for this maintenance?

Thanks.

Regards,
Steve.

You asked the question, "So, how long do I have to wait or how many miles should I wait before I need to be thinking about checking the brakes, greasing the bearings, etc?"

The simple answer is, if you're concerned with "HAVE TO WAIT"...... The answer is, you don't HAVE to wait, just do it. But with your "rephrased question" of "I do not believe in unnecessary maintenance. With only 3000 miles on it in less than 2 years I am not worried in the least." By the book, you've already skipped the inspection/maintenance recommendations at least once, possibly two times. That's why I suggested that "if you're concerned (and it sounds as if you are)," just go ahead and do it now so you have a "starting point" for future maintenance.

I believe that the Dexter maintenance schedule is a "bit over the top" (my opinion, not necessarily shared by all) which is why I told you what I do, based on what's worked for over 40 years without having an axle, brake, hub or bearing failure. Other members will hopefully share their views on axle maintenance, but "by the book" you're already behind in all your maintenance requirements if you've not already had them apart, inspected and serviced. In actual practice, I don't know of many people who follow the Dexter maintenance schedule faithfully, although I would suppose some do inspect/service that frequently.

The Dexter Axle Maintenance Schedule is located here: http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...e_Schedule.pdf

Good Luck with keeping up with what they recommend !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote