View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #7
bsmith0404

The easy lube is designed to be greased without pulling the hub. If done correctly you shouldn't have any problems. Keep in mind this is not a substitute for repacking the bearings about every 10-12k miles. The biggest problem people typically run into is from using too much pressure. A pneumatic grease gun should never be used. I recommend using a gun with a hand pump. This allows you to SLOWLY pump new grease in with one hand while rotating the wheel with the other hand. Fill the hub with new grease until ALL of the old grease has come out of the front of the hub. If you go slow and easy you shouldn't have any problems. Additionally, make sure you use the correct type of grease. If you have not repacked the bearings yet, I would do that first so you know what type of grease you have in the bearings. From there you can buy compatible grease for regular maintenance. Dexter has some decent videos as well as recommended grease types on their website. Most important part is going slow and easy, don't put too much pressure on the rear seal by doing fast pumps on the grease gun. I've have used this method for years and have never had a rear seal blow. There are a few youtube videos out there that demonstrate this pretty well, but I prefer the Dexter videos, get the info from the experts, not the backyard mechanic.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote