View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #19
Wally15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDestinations.com View Post
x2

Got my trailer out of storage this weekend and aired up all the tires to max psi. Was a last-minute thought to check the spare. It was flat. The valve stem had shook loose and let all the air out.

Wes
Do you have metal valve stems? Reason I'm asking, a rubber stem being "shook loose" is most unusual, especially on a static spare. Metal stems, on the other hand, having two nuts holding the rubber gaskets in place, will leak if not tightened enough and the nuts work loose. Or the gaskets can leak if overtightened. It's extremely important to use Loctite or similar on metal stems during installation. A lot of dealers (shop workers) won't do it unless you insist on it. And make sure it's done to both nuts. Unfortunately, primarily for insurance reasons, most tire dealers won't let you go in the shop to make sure it's done right. One option is to go buy top quality metal stems and go to a tire dealer that also sells and mounts truck tires. Those workers usually know how to do a professional job installing metal stems. Think I'll repost this comment on a recent thread about TPMS issues. Of course, if this was a rubber valve stem that shook loose, I'll look like a know-it-all idiot.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote