Thread: Dry camping
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
greengiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
We use green 6gal water cans purchased at Walmart. They have a filler tube down in the can top, plugs right into the outside water tank fill. Very easy and really nice vs trying to siphon or pour with funnel. Hope this helps.
My camper buddy has the green can seen in your pic, so I take his and also my blue can (seen in the photo behind your green can) when adding water. The blue one does not pour well into the trailer (but is great as an outdoor handwashing station), and believe it or not it's not easy to find a funnel to fit and turn up at the right angle to pour, so I cut a soda bottle for a funnel and dump the blue jug in. Many of the NY state parks have a couple threaded spigots for filling up the tank on the way in, but sometimes you have to really look for them. Otherwise, there's a product called the 'water bandit'-works well for filling a tank from those unthreaded spring loaded faucets in state parks. If the spigot is spring loaded (not a ball or quarter turn valve), then I take a vise grip and usually you can keep the water running without holding it for 10 minutes by proping the vise grip against the post.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote