View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixjet View Post
Only one reason to use nitrogen in your tires. Reducing fire hazzard in an enclosed wheel well of an aircraft. If you have a fire and the thermal plugs release the tires pressure, little oxygen will feed the fire. Plus nitrogen will help slow the fire down. Been putting nitrogen in aircraft tires over 30 years, if it was worth using on trailers or vehicles the 1000 or so guys and gals I've worked with over the years would have fiqured that out and had our trucks in the hanger topping them off. Nitrogen leaks out too, that's why we check tire pressure every day. Save your money, buy some extra beer.
Well said, The wheels on my trailer aren't retractable and even if they did retract, knowing how Keystone builds things, the wheelwells wouldn't be "air tight" so I'm guessing I wouldn't have an explosive atmosphere with that 21% oxygen. I've been using that extra money for added adult beverages for years. Been using "plain old air" for 50+ years and it's worked great so far, I don't imagine I'll have any issues with swollen tires or explosions from leaks at ground level anyway. I spent 26 years in the Air Force first servicing and later flying "them things without propedders" and can't find a reason to drive to a welding shop to inflate with nitrogen either.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote