View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
FullTimer

Great idea on the ice melt. We've been full timers for over 4 years and believe me, I have had my share of freezeups. I have learned by watching other campers have their gate valves frozen shut, with full tanks in sub zero enduring temps. They jerked the handles out trying to get them open. I assisted one guy I knew, as 50 gallons of raw sewer ran out, as he replaced the valve. Nasty. One couples whole tank froze solid, took days after the storm to thaw. They both sold the trailers shortly after that storm.

We just purchased and moved in a 2002 28 foot Sprinter, to replace a 82 22 foot Road Ranger and during that storm that hit Oklahoma early this last week, the gate valves froze open, glad they weren't shut. I think the wind chill was -15 F for 24 hours. I have since heat stripped them, to quick thaw them if I forget to open them before bad weather.

The ice melt idea is a great one. I am wrapping and insulating all the holding tanks and plumbing to help with long bitter temps. Making my own Arctic Package lol. Only better than the factory.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote