View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
CW, I love ya man, but I have to disagree a bit here.

I understand what the standard reads, and if it's not from the RVIA, in my opinion, it's meaningless - even if it's considered law; we need better.

I'm not going to repeat the regulations you mentioned. I will say, again, that tires, MUST have a load rating above the gvw of the trailer, IMO. Tongue weight reduction is silly - I understand that "some" use that figure, but it is unrealistic. When you are running I20 in Shreveport, Jackson Ms etc. and the front end of your trailer is above the back of your tailgate, no, you're not running with the full "tongue weight" on the hitch. It is in fact in the air and sitting, 100% on the trailer tires.

Not to try to debate this, just pointing out that the guidelines saying tires can support less than the gvw of a trailer are....dangerous.

I rode that section of I20 a few years ago bringing a trike back to Texas From Alabama and was airborn a few times and bottomed the suspension several times. The highway is not a place for finding out trailer tire or axle limits as it was and probably still is one of the worst stretches of interstate I know. I10 rivals the miserableness of the road going through Louisiana.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote