Thread: Tire upgrade
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #34
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Ok! I think I've got it now!!
If I've every hit a pothole or curb, if I've exceeded the stamped speed rating or ever ran over/under inflated the tires must be replaced as that's the major cause of blow outs regardless of country of origin.
Without expressed written permission from the manufacturer I can not increase size or load rating for fear of voiding the rv warranty.
I need to weigh each tire location individually so that pressures can be adjusted for each tire according to the individual weights on each.
Whatever tire that has a long history of blowing up can not/should not be called "China bomb" as that's politically incorrect.
Still not understood if LT or ST tires are the best??
Well so far I'm batting a 1000 on all of the categories!!

Not what I said. RE Manufacturer permission. That is not my position but appears to be the position of some others who are not actual Tire Design Engineers. IMO once the tire warranty has expired the RV company has effectively washed their hands of any responsibility and at the same time washed their hands of any authority.

You only weigh each tire position to confirm none are overloaded. If you simply get the weight for both axles and divide by 4 you might be OK and you might also have one or more tire hundreds of pounds overloaded. Trailers should run tire sidewall inflation to try and lower the Interply Shear forces. See GOOGLE results HERE.

My objection to "China Bombs" is no more about being politically correct than if I were to talk about Indiana junk RVs. It's an easy jump to a conclusion which does nothing to help you or others understand the reason for the failure.

The tire you select must be capable of supporting at least 110% of the actual load on that tire. This is RVIA position.
It does you no good to have the RF 500# lower than tire capacity if the RR is 500# overloaded.

LT vs ST. Well LT tires have to pass DOT testing that is significantly more challenging than the ST tire tests, so I would think it could be argued that that makes them "better". BUT you have to select a replacement that has equal or greater load capacity than the OE tire.