Thread: Passport 239ML
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColBuckRobley View Post
I have heard many people mention upgrading tires. Roughly how much are we looking at to do that? Where would be a good place to have them bought and installed? I noticed on the dealer website one of the two units for sale already had a the spare on it in their pictures. I'm assuming there was a problem with one of the original tires. Kinda scary.
There was a comment from someone who says they own a 239ML and that it had 15" wheels and tires as OEM. That is a departure from the Keystone website specifications for the trailer. Keystone advertises 14" load range D tires. If they have changed the actual tires to 15", then you will have the capacity to increase to LRE tires (assuming the wheels are rated for 80PSI). That does leave the question of what size brakes are on the trailer? Did Keystone "only change the wheel/tire assembly? Or did they upgrade the axles to also upgrade the brakes from 10" to 12"?????? While it is "out of sight/out of mind" for most buyers who are looking at "bling", when you tow the trailer off the dealer's lot, you "inherit" a multitude of "sub-par/barely adequate" systems.... A smart shopper takes all of that into account BEFORE signing on the dotted line.

The last thing you want is an unpleasant surprise of finding after that first tire problem that not only do you need to upgrade tires, you also need to buy new wheels and if you want to stop that rig, you also need to upgrade the axles to gain sufficient brakes to "be safe".....

Many buyers of new RV's couldn't tell you if their trailer "belly" is covered with coroplast, Darco or if there's actually "no cover on the belly".... There is a thread (about a year old now) where the owner contacted Keystone to ask why his trailer belly cover was missing. Their response, "Oh, take it back to the dealer and let him report it to us." .... I believe that Keystone finally did pay to install his "missing parts" but to think he actually "bought it and towed it home without looking"........ That's a mistake I'm sure he'll never make on any future RV purchases...... Don't join his "club" whether you buy the Passport or the GD trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote