Thread: Mice
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 AM   #5
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggman View Post
Have a 321res Cougar high country, 2nd yr and now Thacker in PA, starting to see black rice droppings... Ugh! Did some research and found none of the normal things, peppermint oil, mothballs, and electric clicker things work. From the research I found there has to be some openings underneath that TT so I got underneath and crawled around. Amazingly, I found four or five holes in underbelly of the RV that were over half an inch wide. Mainly where this spring hinges behind the tires and they overcut the underbelly around these metal hinges. Huge access points. I also found for 1 inch round holes behind the battery for electrical cables to go through and these all entered into the underbelly. I gotsome spray foam especially the fire retardant or pet retardant spray foam and filled all these gaps. I also went behind the heater panel where my sink and water heater isand saw droppings in there which apparently is where the little monsters are entering the travel trailer. After sealing everything and putting bail traps shall see if this solves my mice problem. Once you close off all the entry points there was no access into the TT and that's the only solution that will work. Will follow up after a few weeks.

I to have had this issues with my brand new Alpine. They got into the ceiling and walls ..... also assuming through the belly. I have the water entry spots blocked up but unless I was to pull down the belly, I can't get at the wire accesses and from what I've seen, the workmanship for rodent entry isn't perfect. I did put a combination of fresh-cab / moth balls and bounce sheets up inside the ceiling through the pot light accesses - I pulled every one down (about 16 in my 40 foot trailer) and added the smells to drive them out. Plus, in the walls in a few spots where switches allowed me to drop in moth balls. Then where I guessed they were coming in I put out traps and over 2 weekends I caught 11. Last 2 nights up there we caught none so I suspect I got them all. I did rebait and we'll this Friday. Poison is also good because they then have to go OUT to drink, and that's when they will generally die, unless you are really unlucky. Several of those bags were eaten open so it also confirmed where they were. Make sure you use the BAGS OF POISON so they are forced to eat through the plastic - that way you know if they are still there. They ARE NOT inside the living parts of trailer thank goodness.

Getting them out this time of year is key. Once I know they are gone I will spray and steel-wool and tape the belly completely.

This year has been the worst year on record ..... because of last winter being SO long I figured they stayed in bed and had lots of sex
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote