View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #1313
LHaven

Installed a filler valve extender on my bumper-mount spare tire.

It's a total pain to remove and install our decorative tire cover in order to air up the spare. I keep a TPMS sender on the valve so I don't get caught out with a flat spare, but it's just a continual reminder to me when the pressure isn't up to snuff.

Now I can reach around behind the tire, unscrew the sender, air up, and screw it back on, without needing to fiddle with the cover.

I chose this particular extender [LINK] for a couple reasons. One, they provided a choice of three angles for the extender (I ended up using 90°, but I had no idea what would work best until I actually had it in hand). More importantly, a lot of other models require you to remove the schraeder valve from the tire in favor of the one at the other end of the tube. This defeats the purpose of keeping your spare aired up, if when you have to put the tire in play on the road, it's going to lose all its air when you have to remove the extender tube. This model has a valve depresser at the tire end, plus a schrader valve on the end of the angle piece plus another schraeder valve at the far end of the tube.

While I was in there, I decided that the steel hold-on strip (across the hub center) needs to be replaced with the same size in a C or U channel. It's relatively soft metal that just bends outward at the ends as you joggle down the road, and the more it bends, the more the tire rattles and bends it further.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	41080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	41081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6243 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	145