Thread: Which Truck
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #18
pdaniel

My sister has one of those “1/2 ton towable” Grand Design fifth wheels. But as their tow vehicle is a 2500 diesel I can’t attest to the towability of a 150 or 1500.
At one time I had a Keystone Cougar “X-lite” that wasn’t quite extra light with a length of 36 feet end to end. My old and trusty 2500 Dodge cummins struggled in the mountains pulling that trailer.
So, we upgraded the truck to a 3500 SRW Ram Cummins HO with Aisin transmission. No regrets and it pulled that Cougar with no problem.
But, now that we had an adequate truck why not upgrade the trailer, so, off we go and bought a Grand Design Solitude 310GK. And the truck handles that quite well including travels through the Rockies and the passes.

Bottom line is I wouldn’t attempt to pull a fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton regardless of what the sales critters say. I see too many rigs being pulled by too little tow vehicles (I live in the vicinity of 3 national parks).

I advise getting a larger truck to err on the side of safety. That 1/2 truck may be adequate in towing the unladen 5th wheel but you could be pushing the limits of the truck.

And the best truck to tow with? It is the one you bought.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote