Thread: RV Hauler Bed
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Pull Toy

+1 for the Captain ^^^ The more specialized the equipment the smaller the secondary market.

I did some rough calculations. My 6.7 Ford average 12.5 +/- mpg in mildly hilly New England. My fuel tank holds approximately 26 gallons of diesel. Without sucking the last couple fumes from the tank, this means I can drive about 5.416 hours at 60 mph. At my age, by that point, I've already take at least one "relief" stop, had a stretch to work out the kinks, and had a bite to eat. Since I've already pulled in, I might as well fill 'er up as I don't like to drop below 1/4 tank. It keeps the in tank fuel pump a lot cooler, and when I hit standstill traffic I don't sweat running dry before it clears. I don't presume to speak for everybody, but 5 hours is about as far as I want to go in one day anyhow, and even if I decide to drive further, it sure as H*LL won't be straight thru, non stop.

Another major, IMHO, consideration is the big time loss of PAYLOAD when adding all of that extra curb weight. As we've discussed almost daily, the average camper is already overloading his TV, and camper with toys, and gear. Imagine adding 100 gallons of fuel at around 8 pounds per gallon?

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote