View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're looking at buying a new tow vehicle, if you can hold off until the 2015 F150's arrive, you might give them a good look. There is a lot of talk about aluminum bodies (think airplane) and the lighter weight means increased payload. Ford just "won" an award for the most improved payload in half ton trucks, but they haven't released the final specs on the "whole package" so who knows what the rest may be?

Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton are essentially the same build from all the manufacturers, they ride about the same, look the same, cost about the same to operate, yet the payload nearly doubles in some situations. If I were buying again, especially if I were thinking diesel, I'd definitely buy a 1 ton.

But you said you wanted a gas truck, and from your post, you mentioned a 2011 F150, so if you're looking at buying a late model used truck, I'd stick with the one that's the best buy with the specs to do the job. Since you're buying "specifically" to tow the trailer, the higher the numbers, the "safer" you are if you do upgrade the trailer and even if you don't, buying a new tow vehicle that "barely covers the current trailer specs just puts you in much the same situation as you currently have.

Bigger is not always better, but being at the edge to start doesn't give you any "headroom" for the future. I'd buy the truck that seems like the best overall investment provided it improved my towing capability to cover my needs with room to spare.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote