Thread: Back up cameras
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Miles65

Buy an inexpensive back-up cam, online. Use pipe strapping to mount it on your rear bumper, in a way where you can easily remove it with wing nuts. Consider attaching a vertical arm to the bumper to elevate the cam for a better view. I use bolt-on spare tire mounts. Get a long combo cord for the video and power feeds. Tuck the cord under your RV, using your intelligence to keep it snug and non-binding. Have it end at your tongue jack. Mount an inexpensive monitor on your dash. Run wires to the rear of your tow vehicle. Use your cigarette lighter/12V supply outlet to power everything. I've wired three vehicles with cams. Easy as pie, once you do one. Total cost for one: Around $50. I would never tow my RV without the rear-view cam on. I see the same view, just about, as I would with a rear-view mirror. Also, consider installing your own backup lights, if you don't already have them. Great for backing up at night. FWIW, I'd avoid wireless cams. My wired units never give me the problems I've read about for wireless rigs.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote