View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm all over the internet, usually on a daily basis, and I've NEVER seen any statistical data from the government, from independent research agencies or from tire companies that detail the "5W's" on ST tire failure (who, what, when, where, why). That data, if it is available, is not to be found by the consumer. So, what's a trailer owner to do?

My take on it is listen to the owners of trailers who have had failures. When the overwhelming majority of them list one or two brands, to me, that's a "hint" that I don't want to invest in those brands.... When owners give their experiences that are positive about specific brands, I typically "catalog that away in the gray matter" and use it when I'm next making choices about that product. So, when 20 or 30 people in the past year say they had blowouts with ST tires from XXX manufacturer, I'm not going to buy that guy's tires.... Same with almost anything else.

If you can find any "reliable statistical data" on ST tire failures, please share the location of that information. Until then, at least for me, I'll avoid the tire brands that have a "bad reputation" on this forum as confirmed on other RV related forums. YMMV

I don't think there is any statistical data. I've replaced a lot of tires and I've never, not once, had any tire store ask me what happened, how it happened or log the type and manufacturer of a tire. No one. I suppose an individual could report it to the NHTSA, and it's obvious some do, but by and large those stats just don't exist. The only "statistical" info that we as trailer owners have are the reports John mentions. When you have an entire category for tires, and nearly every tire failure mentioned falls on one or two brand names that you can then drive back to a specific factory in China coupled with those same brands being reported on other forums.....well, that's about as convincing as it gets; at least for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote