View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You will want a WDH with sway control. A WDH alone would help you but with the SUV as a tow vehicle, a 7500 lb trailer behind you and 6 people in the SUV you will have issues with sway that can be mitigated with the sway control. The weight slip says your tongue weight is 550 and you said you're not loaded so it will go up. If the GVW of the trailer is 74-7500 (and it will probably be close to that with 6 people) your tongue weight could well be over 800 lbs.

Considerations: What is the max load for the receiver on the Navigator? 500 lbs? What does the payload (carrying capacity) sticker inside the door say that is? With 800+ lbs on the hitch what does that leave you for people, cargo and the weight of the hitch?

I use an Equalizer WDH with sway control and am very happy. Others have other opinions but when you get one do not skimp on this aspect and remember you get what you pay for.

Another note: the weight slip said you have Trailer King tires. I assume they are from 2014. Take them off and replace them with good tires before you leave to hopefully prevent a catastrophic accident. Good luck in getting it fixed up. Oh, the Navigator would probably benefit from air bags in the rear as well...and, make sure the tires on the Navigator are in good shape and preferably LTs.

Additional: load the trailer completely for traveling. I think you will find that the tongue weight will increase significantly. Find WDH bars that fit that weight plus some.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote