View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
I would like to add an inline Progressive 50amp power monitor/surge protector unit. I know this will need to be mounted close to the power control center under the oven.

Don't know how much space is available under there, perhaps I can delete the lowest drawer directly to the right of the power/breaker center but that won't go over well with the wife.

I looked at the units that plug into the power pedestal then you plug into them but after looking into them carefully I found out they do not interrupt power like the internal progressive units do. I already lost my Dometic refrigerator control board at the Rincon Country West RV park in Tuscon AZ. We encountered a power surge that fried the refers control board plus popped the main circuit breaker in both my RV an a friends parked next door.

Apparently they had a vendor in the park working on the transformer that probably caused the problem they promptly denied. Needless to say they told me to pound sand, $180.00 bucks later we were back online.
So with that said, I had the progressive inline unit in my old RV and it always served me well cutting the power when things were bad. I will see if there is a way to install the unit in the Cougar. Anyone who has any insight on this please chime in.
So, to install the unit under the dinette bench is the easiest thing in the world - as long as you are into anaconda wrestling!. There's no need for any material other than what comes with the EMS.
Make sure you have the shore cable unplugged and use a hacksaw to cut the wire under the bench seat. Cut the insulation back and install in the ECM per instructions. Tip: the instructions will tell you to orient the magnets with the arrows pointing a certain direction but there are no arrows. Don't worry about it, the new units don't care which direction the magnets point.
I then mounted the remote unit to the end of the bench so I can easily see it from pretty much everywhere in the camper.

Edit: BTW, if you are determined to mount it behind the power distribution center, there is plenty of room between the converter and the water heater. You may want to buy a 3 or 4 foot length of wire - I forget the designation- in order to reach. Also, IIRC, it won't help to remove the oven. I'm pretty sure when I looked up there it was an enclosed space. In other words, I couldn't see the bottom of the oven. Removing the power distribution panel won't buy you a lot of space to work in either. The best way in is to remove the divider wall under the sink and wriggle in on your left side. It's not comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-12 142009.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	39711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-12 142132.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	39712  

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote