View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #10
Twisties

On chlorinated systems city water would be treated with higher levels to disinfect. Then levels are reduced to maintain when the water enters the distribution system. If there is a line break municipal systems should treat the downstream area with higher, disinfectant levels and flush before lifting any boil orders or stop use orders. As well, many water systems use other methods, such as filtration, ozone or uv light or other oxidants. But the point remains the same: lower maintenance levels in the distribution system.

Point being, no the levels of disinfectant present in the water from your tap are not effective in sanitizing your RV.

In my owner's manual Keystone specifies 1/4 c bleach per gallon water, then one gallon of that solution for every 15 gallons of fresh water tank capacity. Then fill the fresh tank with water.

So, in my case, 60 g fresh tank..... 4 gallons bleach solution (one cup of bleach total) and fill tank. Run it through lines until you smell it. Let stand 4 hours (per Keystone). Completely drain system, fill and flush until clear of bleach.

My question is, are you supposed to fill the hot water heater with the sanitizing solution?

We are de-winterizing for the first time, and the instructions imply not to. The sanitizing instructions don't mention it, but in the de-winterizing instructions it has you open the hot water bypass when ready to use hot water, after the sanitize step. Not super clear.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote