View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Considering your camper is new, I don't think there is too much concern about "things" growing in the water tank or the plumbing. If it were a 10 year old camper, left empty and overgrown with weeds and infested by rats,.... yea ... you'd need to sanitize. But a NEW camper?

Here's what I suggest.... this is providing you have not used water in your camper already: Do a first time sanitization and then don't worry about it every again, as long as you are using, or are connected to your treated city water at home.

The very first time you add water to a new camper, you should flush it out. This cleans out any factory particles that may be in the lines. Also, after flushing things out the first time, you'll probably need to remove the aerators on the end of your kitchen faucet and bathroom faucet and clean them out, because they most likely will be clogged up with construction particles from the factory. I know water lines are suppose to be clean, but they clean only when you've flushed them first.

Now, if you have already filled your tank and ran water through your lines and flushed things out, there no need to do it again.

We lived "in town" for over 16 years and all the time we lived there, I sanatized my campers only once. And that was the day I brought them home from the dealer brand new. The chemical content in the city water was more than enough to sanitize and keep the lines healthy.

If your tank had been sitting around for a few years, partially full, or even empty, that would be a different situation. But with a NEW camper, no, flushing with city treated water will do the trick.

We now live in the country. Been out here for quite a while now. We are on a well, and we are going on 2 1/2 years with our current Montana fifth wheel, and I've sanitized only once. Again, that was the day I brought it home from the dealer. We keep water in it all the time, Summer and Winter, and we have a whole house filtration system (no chlorine though). And after 3 trailers, we've never had problems with any kind of contaminated water systems in any of our trailers.

Bottom line is: If you are city treated water, you are probably perfectly good to go.

On Edit: How do I know you have a new camper? I read your other post!