View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Brent, we're just the opposite. Usually when we leave Florida we stop at 'home' long enough to settle with the lawn care people, visit with friends/grands and the worthless post office. In about four weeks we are both itching to head to Wisconsin for the summer. We can stay home when we get old.

^^^^^IMO this! DW did not want to get out and go, do/see; sometimes still drags her feet. "There's no rush to get out and travel....we can do that in time". In time? IN TIME? In time for what??? As I told her when you're past 70 there ain't much "in time" left before I REALLY AM relegated to sitting in a chair "at home" watching TV or....in a box.

When I retired at 55 (I had a super job that I loved) I told DW one of the reasons was that I was not going to keep plowing until 65+, talking of all my "retirement plans", was there are far too many things I want(ed) to see and do (and eat ) in this country before that happens and nearly everyone I knew that just kept "waiting" to retire did so (or didn't make it) then promptly kicked the bucket before realizing any of their plans/dreams - I was not going to do that if it was in my power.

She got used to 2-3 weeks and had fun. Then we kept stretching until 3 mos. was OK. First time at 5 mos. in a TT was too much for both of us. We both felt claustrophobic and missed "home" - hence the 5th wheel. We spent 7 mos. in it last year and neither of us had a problem. On our 3rd month this year. Home? It can wait - and IS waiting. Spent a considerable amount fall before last making the master bath handicap accessible; large walk in shower with multiple located shower heads/controls, granite benches around, handicap handles and rails etc. It's there and ready.....when I am.

I think the real of objective of retiring and being "free" to do what you want is to do what makes you and yours the happiest. It very well may be staying at home and working a large garden; that was my initial thought because we both loved it - but it became a lot of work and we kept managing to break something or come down with some affliction that made tending the garden a tedious chore. Neither of us ever intended on using an RV as we do now...but here we are.

Completely off point but; talking to the neighbor here (just celebrated his 80th) about "stuff", plans, etc. I told him when I was young I envisioned life as this long, winding road heading into the horizon - no end in sight and full of possibilities. The road behind was short, bumpy and full of curves. Now, when I look back THAT road is long and winding; I no longer see those bumps and curves from early on. When I look forward as I did as a young man, I SEE the end of that road; I SEE that stop sign. Life is grand; when you open your eyes in the morning that is cause, in itself, for celebration. After that make the most of what you have - however that may be.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote