View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
AbHDToyHauler

I am 62 and wife is 60. We had a 23 foot trailer when we were in our 20's and pulled it with a Chevy 1500. Who knew anything about loading and tow weights etc. then. Then when we moved west 30 years ago we gave up camping as we had no time. Then as retirement was looming and many of our friends were towing their rigs south to Arizona in the winter we did some soul searching about what we wanted to do. We knew we loved Arizona and had hauled our bikes down five or six times and went winter riding so that was to be part of our plan. We looked at Motorhome diesel pushers and Fifth wheel toy haulers. For us the Toy hauler fit our needs better. The first time i hooked it up and towed it I was a bit worried but took a wait and see attitude. It towed awesome and the Duramax had zero issues so off we went. First time on a long haul through the mountains I was worried again but with the exhaust brake and tow haul mode was a total none issue. Also very stable in the wind. Loading the bikes and getting the weights setup right was a chore but all good now. I added a small winch to pull the wifes trike up into the garage as with the wide fenders its a bit of a close fit and going up a ramp at speed with a close fit is just a bad idea. Winch works like a champ, This summer we are officially retiring so we are ready now. Bought it a couple of years early to get ready. we love camping again although it's more like Glamping as they say.
Hope your experience is all fun and maybe we will see you on the road.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote