View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #10
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxglide View Post
Would love to hear from the 50 and older crew.

How many folks got into rv’ing after the age of 50 and have never been rv’ing before. Pleas share your learning curve to get comfortable or confident hitting the road. Please consider set up experience and planning activities. Thanks in advance
David

When we were young and foolish we had a 1974 VW camper van that we took around the country and did a lot of other traveling with; it was also our only source of transportation. We went to tenting when we moved to New Orleans as there was no place safe to keep the van (more from errant drivers not staying on the road than anything else; it wouldn't fit in the garage; great public transportation at the time and we did have a second car). The DW did not like tenting, so we took a 35 year hiatus - her idea of roughing it was a Holiday Inn. As retirement approached I convinced the DW to look at trailers (versus class A/B/C) and we ended up with a new Keystone Bullet Premier 19FBPR and a used truck. We had "help" in searching and choosing in that my brother and father both kept up their RVing well after we had stopped and offered plenty of useful advice on what to look for and avoid in a TT.

My biggest lack-of-comfort-level was backing the trailer. The wheelbase on the TV was quite long compared to that of the TT, making maneuvering a challenge. My grandfather had put a hitch on the front of his car (back when cars could actually tow a trailer) and used it to push his around (as he was not good at backing either). $177 to Amazon and about 45 minutes of labor on my part with help of a neighbor enabled me to have a hitch on the front of my truck, and maneuvering became a snap (I can back up after years of practice, but I'm still more comfortable pushing). Even with the new trailer and its longer wheelbase, pushing is easier than backing.

We camp at least once a month as we square dance camp. When we hit the road in the spring we are usually on the road about a month en route to our summer abode, we square dance camp while there also, and then spend another two to three weeks headed back home in the fall.

We've set up camp in all kinds of weather (fortunately no hail as yet, but yes to snow and rain). I ended up getting some hip waders to wear for extremely inclement weather to keep my pants dry;the hip boots didn't quite cut the mustard.

We don't boondock if we can help it, but on occasion it has been necessary. Learning to monitor one's water supply and gray/black tanks (the sensors are notoriously inaccurate) is a skill that will come; not all campgrounds with electricity have water/sewer at a campsite.

When starting out we did a few maiden test-voyages close to home in city and private parks; this helped us get comfortable with towing, setting up and breaking camp. A checklist for what to bring, what to do in setting up/breaking camp, and for towing was a great help initially. There are checklists of this type available on this site - modify them to suit your needs.

This forum has been heaven-sent as far as helping out with other issues, whether real or just perceived on my part. Selecting tires, obtaining a TPMS or EMS, information on WDH, campgrounds, routing, ... you name it.

Best wishes in your search and safe and happy travels.

Ken

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote