View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Our last trailer, a Springdale fifth wheel, had no grill and no connection. We regularly did what we have done with previous trailers, pull the campsite picnic table under the awning and set the grill on that table. Well, we got a new grill, a Weber, fired it up and used it several times (on the picnic table) and never thought anything about it. When we got home at the end of that 2 month trip, I opened the awning to wash it and noticed that the underside was melted in places. Was the grill to blame? I can say we never had a campfire under the awning, so it certainly wasn't from any heat source other than the grill. Our current Cougar has the grill mount on the rear of the trailer and the awning stops about 2' from the rear of the trailer, so the grill is "outside the awning cover"....

As I said, we'd done it for 30+ years without any problems, but it only takes once..... Maybe the grill is too "hot" maybe the awning fabric is "changed" maybe it was a "fluke" but the vinyl covered fabric was melted. So.......

One point in your favor: If the grill is on a slide inside the outdoor kitchen, you "should" have a vertical opening door that acts as a "roof" over the grill. That may deflect most of the heat away from the awning. ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote