Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #44
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Personally I'll never own another Trailer King tire. In your case with a new trailer, I think I would run the 1st year and replace them. Mine blew out on the first trip of the 2nd season. Also remember that those things destroy themselves from the inside out. One of our members took his off and the inside of the tires were bulged and separating while the exterior looked great.

I will add that there have been changes in the guidelines for tire load ranges since I bought mine so you might check. Note the gvw of the trailer, size/weight range of the tire and the max load the tire can carry. Some deduct the tongue weight when calculating what weight the tire will bear. I don't agree with that premise. As a very basic calculation just divide the gvw by 4 (tandem axle) and see what that load is. Compare to the load rating on the tire and give yourself at least a 10% cushion. Scientific and mega accurate? No. Will it get you in the ballpark instead of just putting "something" on because that's what came on the trailer? Yes it will. JMO
Just a reference: https://www.tirebusiness.com/article...t-trailer-tire - Sailun is the builder of Trailer King tires.

The problem in the orange is; trailer manufacturers fit tire/wheel assemblies to the vehicle certified GAWRs on the vehicle certification label. The rule does not require any load capacity reserves (a big problem in the past that I'm sure caused many good tires to fail early). A recommendation from RVIA has caused trailer manufacturer to add at the very least, 10% in load capacity reserves above GAWR. So, any trailer made after late 2015 models will have that protection. However, your method is above and beyond the standards but may cause replacement tires to have more load capacity that could cause the need for new wheels.

RV trailer manufacturers set the vehicle certified GAWRs. Some will differ from the axle manufacturers certified value. From the computer model the vehicle manufacturer deducts the trailer's projected recommended tongue weight from the projected GVWR and divides by the number of axle positions to set GAWRs. They do not want to invite overloading so the GAWRs are almost set very close to, or right on minimum.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote