Thread: TV mount for RV
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

A big part of the decision needs to be what type of mount you're using, where it's located in the trailer and how heavy the TV is that's on the mount.

As examples, the front of most trailers is the "smoothest riding section". Mounting a 15" or 19" TV to a properly sized mount installed "strongly" on the backer plate in the wall will probably be OK if secured so it doesn't extend and lever should it bounce.

On the other hand, a "barely large enough" mount suggested for a 32" TV, installed with two short screws in the studs and two "moly bolts" in the foam core of the wall, mounted on the rear wall (the roughest riding part of the trailer) with a 39" TV installed would probably not fare well on rough roads. It may not even fare well with a 26 or 32 inch TV.

Given the two above "extremes" consider that either may do well for thousands of miles on SMOOTH roads, but fail the first trip on I-20 from Shreveport to Jackson.

I suppose I'd "trust" the smaller TV on either end of the trailer, maybe "trust" the larger TV in front, but probably wouldn't even consider traveling with the big TV on the rear wall. So, it's size, location, weight, comparative mount size to TV size and trailer substructure security (something you can't really verify) that need to be considered before "trusting the mounting" to be OK for "my kind of travel conditions".....

My suggestion would be: If there's any doubt about the structural integrity, I'd take the TV down for every trip. There's few things more disappointing than getting to the first stop on a 3 week vacation and having to clean up broken glass and try to figure out how to repair those big holes in the bedroom wall.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote