View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
Steveo57

New Keystone Cougar 22RBS

We picked up our new 22RBS a few weeks ago. Quite a difference between it and our old 2004 Forest River Flagstaff 17 footer that we had before. Love the floor plan and it seems to have good bones but as with every RV we have ever looked at or owned it's thrown together.

I've been doing doing all the mods to get it fixed up how we like it. Added some new reading lights for the bed, fantastic fan in the bathroom, vent covers, screens on all the outside appliance covers, surge protector, winterize kit, and many more little things.

I've been spending a lot of time fixing the crappy build details too.

Almost all of the window shades and valences are half *** attached and crooked so I'm straightening all them out.

The plumbing drain to the bathroom sink is at an odd angle so the pipes are all cock-eyed. I'll end up having to straighten it out somehow.

While checking out the water heater bypass valve which is tucked in behind the heater and the power panel I found the biggest mess of wires and water pipes I've ever seen. Looks like it was wired up by a bunch of monkeys on crack. I could see some of the wires are stretched tight with no slack whatsoever, not good for a travel trailer. I'll be pulling out the power panel and straightening it all up.

All of the piping and wires coming up through the floors have large unsealed holes into the underbelly which is sealed pretty well but certainly not to the point of keeping out all the little critters. I'll have to seal them all up.

Screws securing the cabinets over the bed were just screwed through the cabinet frame but since the wall paneling had no support behind it the screws just pushed the wall paneling back but never screwed into it. So there was a big gap all along the top of the cabinet.

Lot's of other little things too. I don't mind fixing it up because I know it will get done right and I get to see how it is put together. Everything works fine, all of these issues are cosmetic and long term reliability issues that would become problems down the road if I didn't take care of them now.

I just wish they could do a better job of building these things so there wasn't so many issues. Luckily it's still too cold here to dewinterize and go camping so I have a few months left to tinker. At least when I get done it will be in great shape and we'll enjoy many great worry free trips![emoji846]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk