View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #34
shiggs68

30 Amp vs 50 Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Do you know for sure..100% that it is monitored for 240V? I was thinking that it monitored each individual hot leg, with respect to neutral. And also the question that I am wondering is that when they designed the system, did they build in the monitoring voltage to include a 208 wye connected system....and thus allow for the sensor to accept the 208 volt in addition to the normal 240V that it would see with a center-tapped single phase transformer.

I don't think I ever mentioned the words...."3-Phase Delta connection". But if the park is using a 3 phase wye type setup, then the first pedestal would most likely have phase A and phase B and a neutral. The second pedestal would have phase B and phase C and a neutral, then the third pedestal would have phase A and phase C and a neutral......then repeat for pedestals 4, 5, and 6.....and so on.

And the part above that you have circled in red, proves nothing, other than what the system monitors as far as 120 volts. As long as your voltage is within those parameters, it doesn't care if the voltage is coming from a single phase center-tapped transformer that you would traditionally see at your house, or if it is two of the three phases from a 3 phase wye connection......the monitoring points inside the EMS is looking for the 120 volts on both of the legs....or should I say, that the voltage is within the parameters that is set ...104 - 132 volts. It doesn't say anywhere that I can find that it is monitoring for 240Volts.

The PI EMS monitors each line for voltage within the stated ranges and does not care about it being a true 50amp split phase system. That allows the 50amp model to work when using a 30 to 50 adapter.

You didn’t mention the “3-phase delta”. However, it was mentioned above by Gail2536.

And my comment on the monitoring for 240vac is for systems like the Precision Controls Energy Management System used in numerous Motorhomes and higher-end 5th wheels. That is the method to detect that a 30 to 50 adapter is being used. I mention this as their are campgrounds that cheat and provide the same phase to each leg. Which causes the user’s system to think its connected to a 30amp source.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote