Thread: Help--towing
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Having gone the route of buying a trailer that I really wanted, too big for a 1/2 ton but "almost" fitting the numbers (but slightly over), I can tell you that you don't want a 35'+ trailer behind a 1/2 ton; new shocks, LT tires, air bags etc. or not. I had 2 1/2 tons, 5.7L Big Horn 3.55, and 5.7L Lone Star 3.92; both pulled "OK", and in fact I said "just fine" in a post on this forum years ago.

The problem is that with that big of a trailer and a lightweight truck sway/push by passing semis is common, big pushes across the road with high winds is common, downshifting/high revving etc. etc. are all common. Always having to choose what to load and what to leave behind is an every trip occurrence. Watching the weather and worrying about high wind days is an every trip thing. I upgraded to a HD 3/4 ton truck. All of the above is gone. None of it crosses my mind and in fact, I look forward to hooking up and going without a care in the world.

With a 1/2 ton truck the reality is that you are very limited in what to tow both weight and length wise. It is human nature to try to get as big as you can but with 6 people and everything needed a 1/2 ton is going to be a real stretch. Look for something (floorplan) that fits your needs, try to stay at 7500lbs OR LESS GVW and 32-33' long (you still need to watch/check your payload/gvw/gawr). Your enjoyment and safety will be greatly enhanced on your camping trips. There is a comment in another post that says "if you want a Godzilla trailer, you need a Godzilla truck"....that is true.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote