View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Here is another source of RV Solar information. Go Power at www.gpelectric.com
Solar systems of 50 to 200 watts are affordable and easy to install and will do a good job of maintaining your batteries. If you get serious and want to install a system that will power your appliances up to and including the A/C unit you can do that, but you are looking at serious cash and more than likely a professional installation. A quality generator for the latter is a much better choice.

Our newest RV came with a 80W solar system, and I am adding a 100W panel for about $120.00 for a total of 180W. The next upgrade requires a new controller and heavier gauge wires.

"The rest of the story" ... No I don't need 180W just to maintain (1) std battery. The new RV has a 12V refrigerator pulling 8 t0 9 amp when running. When we stop for a 4 or 5 hour side trip, we want to extend battery life a little.

After spending a couple of days at the Tampa RV show it is apparent that 12V refrigerator's are here to stay, the gas/electric are either a option or not available in a lot of units. There will be a interesting learning curve on how to deal with the battery issues.
Frank has many good points here, one thing I will add is keystone is making many of their models with either the gas/electric fridge or the electric only inverter style. For example, in my 2021 montana, there is a 3854BR model and a 3855BR model, the only difference is the 55 model is the electric fridge with invertor. It is clear keystone acknowledges there is demand for both(for now). I sprung for the 3854 model because i like running the gas fridge in storage a day or two before we leave(no plug ins). Good info!
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote