View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traindude View Post
Thank you all for the replying. Now I am more confused then ever. What I am looking to do is hook up some solar charger/maintainer to keep the batteries topped off while in storage. I understand that taking them out and bringing them home is the better way to go. I going to discount them from the Rv by pulling the negative off. Was hoping there was something that I could do with solar to keep them topped off. Any ideas are surly welcome and thank you in advance
You can certainly do that, but a 13 watt solar panel will not be sufficient. Ohm's law states amps equals watts divided by volts. If watts =13 and volts = 12 then 13/12=1 Amp. That's a theoretical number based on pure math not accounting for the angle of the sun, the efficiency of the solar panel, the wire, etc. That's why you're example was 3/4 Amp and that's generous in my experience. F the battery remains connected the parasitic drains will drain more than that (remember those loads are at night as well).

I suggest you read a few articles on this subject. Here's a link to one that may help. https://www.renogy.com/blog/what-siz...a-12v-battery/
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote