View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
Auto-former won't do the job -

1. Autoformer output varies proportionally to input, as the input voltage varies, so does the output voltage. If the autoformer is set up when the line voltage is low a sudden rise in line voltage (all the other RVs leave the park) the autoformer will amplify the increased voltage to the remaining RV, an undesirable situation.

This incorrect, it will not overvoltage. If the line voltage is withing the paramaters it will simply pass it thru.

There may be some other name rather than "autoformer" for an ACTIVE device (a device that consumes energy) that would keep the output voltage constant but the energy (WATTS) in the system remains constant, (law of conservation of energy) e.i. the current (amps) would decrease.
Autoformer is a brand name.. The devicce is simply a boost transformer.
Off into the weeds - keep in mind that in AC circuits there is a forth attribute, POWER FACTOR, that is in play. Unlikely in this case but again, nothing can be done at the RV space other than alternative power source.

2. Correct Ohms Law for current is Amps (current) = Watts (power) / (divided by) E (voltage), I=W/E Ohms Law is a simple mathematical equation that can be written in several variants using middle school algebra. I try to keep things simple when your reader isn'tfamiliar with the subject.
3. Because the deficiency occurs for multiple RV spaces, the problem is likely to be upstream of any one RV pedestal.
4. Because the Park technician can't wait for the season to be over to repair the problem indicates the problem is in-between the utility company power lines and the pedestals (RV Park electrical distribution panels or possible ground loop). Nothing can repair the problem at the RV space other than employing an alternative power source - generator, solar panels or wind turbine.
5. Beware of a potential (unlikely) safety issue, the possibility of a ground loop condition associated with the neutral (green) wire. The neutral wire is always white. The ground is green on an insulated wire or bare wire on a solid wire installation. Measure the AC voltage between the RV frame and the pedestal metal utility box. It should be zero. A remedy to this possible condition would be to ground the RV frame to a metal RV Park water pipe using a battery jumper cable. This condition is unlikely because the problem seems to be associated with several RV spaces. Again, the problem seems to be upstream of the pedestals.
See my comments in red for some clarifications.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote