View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #94
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, Scottsdale to Flagstaff.....150-160 miles. 1300 ft. to 6300'? What's the grade.....2%?

I just watched a test of the ecoboost with a 10k trailer running the Eisenhower tunnel... it stayed floored and spinning up there with a normally aspirated gas engine, so....find a real hill. And, now why is it that that beast ecoboost isn't pulling the big loads in the HD trucks? Self destruction??

I travel with my trailer up and down the mountain to my my vacation home; 4000' to 9000' in 16 miles. You should put the ecoboost on something like that and see if it runs 1800 rpm...it won't - but send us a pic.

Just messing with you. You seem to be very enamored of the ecoboost; and it is, from accounts by owners that have spent the money for it, a powerful engine (for a 3.5L gas)....enhanced on "steroids" to act like a "real" towing motor. I think if you love it, go for it, but don't be misled thinking you have a real HD towing truck...you don't.

Edit: another way for anyone to know it's not an HD towing truck is you're running 49.8 lbs psi, with a 9k trailer. I'm assuming P rated tires??

Edit; here is a post from another forum on the grade of the route;

"This elevation change of about a mile in height over 125 miles in length works out to slightly less than a 1% grade on average the whole way.
Well Sourdough you seem to be full today, never driven from Scottsdale to Flagstaff have you!! We did about three weeks ago and there some very steep 7%+ grades for several miles. Not 7%+ the whole time but not less than 6%. That and the heat we did it was 110 to 115, we were in a car not towing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote