Thread: Miles a day?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy52 View Post
Thanks for all the response. I guess I was just looking for some idea as to how much time/miles I might expect to be able to handle in a day. I realize that when dragging several thousand pounds behind you, alertness is an absolute must. I have always been kind of goal oriented, get from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible. I always equated an extra night on the road as an extra $100.00 or more, figuring hotel/motel and meals. My wife and I are both retired, we don't have to be in a hurry. Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments and I promise, I'll do everything in my power to remain a happy camper.

I too was always "goal oriented". The destination was the "prize"/goal. I didn't care about costs because my company paid them all - I could take 3 nights to make a 300 mile trip. I didn't do that because my goal was to get from A to B as quickly as I could - I had stuff to do when I got there.

That mentality permeated my life. Every trip we took while I was working was to get from A to B, even in personal life. Never mind that the kids or mom wanted to stop and look at this or that....the goal was the destination. I lived that way until I retired....and then a few years. I always thought about where I was going, not what's in between. It's a mindset. It took me years to unwind from it. My clock is wound very tight and wasting time really irks me.....now, I've figured out that having fun is not wasting time.

And, spending an extra night or more while reaching the "goal"?? I used to LOVE cooking and eating a huge dinner; hours worth of preparation and cooking. Now, I'll do that once a month. I now LOVE a great breakfast; sometimes mine, sometimes (more often) at a good restaurant that 1) can fry a perfect OE egg, 2) has bacon that tastes right, 3) hash browns, 4) good gravy and biscuits!!!

You're retired. Take the time to smell the roses. Driving until you are beat, or your eyes are closing, with that big RV behind you is not a good choice. Have fun. Hope you have a blast and remember; "hoping to remain a happy
camper" is 100% a mental decision and how you want to view "stuff". It IS a fun ride...just keep things in perspective.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote