View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #32
Tonto256

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
the carbon empty- weight is just shy of 12,000 lbs- add 100 gallons of water and fill the lb tanks your at 13000 lbs.

you pay load on a 2014 f350 is about 4000 to 3400 depending on model. empty tongue weight is 2800- add the 5th wheel hitch, a full tank of gas and 2 adults and your payload is at max.

There is one thing my wife loves about the 5th wheel- she can take it all- and she does- and so do the kids.

Don't expect to go any where empty. Also check all the numbers your self. NEVER trust the RV salesman, on what you and tow.

This is good advice. I had a 2013 F250 diesel that had a 10k GVWR and a 6100lbs rear axle. When I went with the numbers Ford provided and then numbers Keystone provided I was within weight. However, when I bought a 2013 Raptor 297 and then weighed the truck and trailer at the CAT scales I was over by 1100lbs on GVWR and about 150lbs on the rear axle. After much research and many "discussions" with my conscience over whether the F250 would be safe or made to work, I decided to trade it for an F350 SRW with an 11,500GVWR and 7k rear axle. Now, even loaded up I am legal, but I still don't have a lot of weight to work with. The dual real wheel 350 would be the best set up, but it's just too large of a truck for my liking. The F350 gets it done, but not by much. In my opinion an F250 or any 3/4 ton pick up is not even close, if you want to be legal. Don't get me wrong, they will tow it, but the numbers won't be legal. These campers always seem to be quite a bit heavier than advertised. In my experience the truck salesman don't know, and the RV salesman really don't know. They don't care, it's not their ticket to get or drivers license and insurance on the line. The numbers the truck and RV dealers put out only seem to be best case scenario and are almost always way under what your trailer or truck weighs when you buy it.
This is talked about to death on these forums, but for good reason; it's either within weight or not.
Tonto256 is offline   Reply With Quote