View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #38
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
So maybe I didn’t fully lay out the question. Attached are the OLD axle, prior to upgrading to wet bolts, upgraded shackles, an additional leaf and CRE3000 equalizers. They -are- 7000 lb axles. There’s a photo of the old tires, you’re gonna have to assume the new ones are this size and also suitable to task. I reviewed them when the tire guy in the little mountain town installed them. And the relevant stickers on the trailer. Cat scale weight is for trailer loaded for a normal camping trip and full fresh tanks.

The only point to this query, which I have inadequately relayed was:

Based on all things healthy and equal, would lowering the tire pressure (as stated in the MORRyde documentation, and standard inflation charts) and an otherwise healthy upgraded suspension to something like 65-70psi, which is suitable to a 12,000 lb trailer load situation, on a trailer that currently weighs 10,000.lbs...result in a ride that was less traumatic to the trailer?
There is an error in your certification label. The right thing to do is inform Keystone. The error is with the tire designated size. ST235/80R16 LRE tires do not qualify for service on 7000# vehicle certified GAWRs on 2017 trailer models because of the RVIA load capacity reserve recommendation. Keystone has only two options to fix the error. Upgrade the tires to a designated size that will satisfy the RVIA recommendation or correct the GAWRs with a new certification label for certified 6000# axles. Either choice will cause them to call a recall on themselves.

IMO, Keystone errored when setting the GAWRs. The trailer's weight clearly calls for 6000# axels. Even those would be greater than what is needed to certify the GAWRs on that trailer.

When certifying 7000# axles on that trailer, it gives the appearance that it's okay for the consumer the consumer to overload the GVWR by more than 1500#.

I know, I said I was done with this thread but I can't overlook an obvious mistake by the vehicle manufacturer.

In case anyone is curious about the math, it's simple. Keystone specs say the vehicle has a GVWR of 13000#. They list the tongue weight at 1445#. To determine axle minimums the tongue weight is deducted from the GVWR and divided by 2. Dexter builds a 5800# axle and it could have been used. However Keystone's best option was 6000# axles. The ST235/80R16 LRE is more than just adequate for 6000# vehicle certified axles.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote