Thread: Double Tow
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #23
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEA View Post
There are always those who never let the facts get in the way of their pre-conceived ideas.

A properly equipped 2019 and newer F150 has a towing capacity of 13,200 pounds. I never have a gross trailer weight over 9500#.

I do have some truck, it handles my towing needs, I don't have to use DEF and when I'm not towing, I get 21 MPG. Yep, that's some truck.
I have been in your situation....sans the additional utility trailer/ATV. I looked at strictly the manufacturer tow rating when I bought our 9500lb GVWR, 33' travel trailer. I bought the trailer and then the 1/2 ton, thinking all was good. Please post a pic of the yellow/white load capacity sticker from the driver's side door pillar of your truck so it can be discussed.

If you load your 5th wheel to 9500 lbs, that will mean your pin weight is likely a minimum of 1900 lbs (20% of GVWR). This 1900 lbs is coming right off the 'cargo carrying capacity' figure listed on the door sticker on the truck.

I had a 2019 max tow F150 XLT that had 1873 pounds of payload per the sticker. That means if I were pulling your 5'ver, I would be overweight, before me, any passengers, any gear, any tools, and the hitch, even hit the truck.

As you may have read, manufacturer brochure towing capacity is about the least valuable rating there is.....particularly for a 1/2 ton truck. It really does not apply to travel trailer or 5th wheel towing as it's calculated from pulling something like a farm hay wagon, or a low work trailer loaded with cinder blocks, not a 12' tall slab/sail like a TT or 5th wheel.

Even if you want to use the manufacturer 13.2K tow rating, it requires a particular configuration: a 4x2, SuperCrew, 157" wheelbase with 20" wheels. However, even if you did have this particular setup, you will still run out of payload unless you have the 'unicorn' (typically special ordered) heavy duty payload package (HDPP) version.

Finally, even if you did have the 13.2K config., plus HDPP, you are still considering hauling an additional 2K and 15'-20' behind the 5th wheel, which is quite a handful that seems more suitable to a 3/4 or 1-ton.

PS....I don't us DEF either. No one here is trying to belittle using a gas engine to tow with. It's about towing within all the ratings (payload, front/rear axles, GVWR and GCVWR), not what engine you are using.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote