View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I just remembered a math question I have always had about tires.
We can measure the static load of a tire stopped and sitting still. Lets make up a number of 2500 lbs on that tire. Now lift that tire/wheel/axle up, lets start at 1 inch. Than drop it with the static load still at 2500 lbs. How much pressure does the tire take and what weight is than transferred to the scale for that instant. I am guessing it hit and landed with more than a 2500 lb load. Now repeat that on the freeway at 65 mph and a pot hole hit 3 inch's deep. What is the load that tire experiences when it is fully back in contact with the road? More than 2500?
Now pull that same tire for 200 miles on our roads at 65 mph. Does that 2500 lb load the tire is carrying go from 2200 lbs as the tire lifts a bit to say 3000 lb as that tire comes back down over every bump in the road.
If you have ever watched a rolling tire on a vehicle as it goes up and down. Watch the tire profile, It gets skinny going up and fat went it comes back down over the road bumps. No bumps it stays about the same shape.
I say ST tires do that more than passenger/light truck tires.
Lastly maybe we can all agree, the tire maker takes all that into account.
But do they take that abuse into account on a under inflated or overloaded tire and expect it to be fine.
No one in here ever mentioned having homework???
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote