View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post
If you don't experience both upward AND downward forces (of more than 130lb) on your pin and hitch jaws when going down the road then you must travel on some mighty smooth roads.
- Dave

Also you would think if there was a concern then B&W wouldn't offer this:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...t_Bracket.aspx
I don't think it's the "momentary forces in travel" that pose a risk, rather it's the "consistent and persistent forces posed by storage" that present the problem. A "good example" of what I mean is an electric range burner. It's designed to get "cherry red hot" and can easily withstand those temperatures during cooking and when a pot or pan is on the burner, the pan absorbs much of the heat, helping cool the burner element. In that "use pattern" the burner element will last "a lifetime". On the other hand, turn that same burner on high, walk away and come back in 24 hours..... Chances are it will no longer be "burning cherry red hot"....

As for "things mechanical not being able to support the same "upward force as downward force".. Every airplane I know of is stressed for greater positive G's than for negative G's. Depending on the airplane, pull back on the stick and you'll survive 4-8 G's easily, push forward on the stick and the wings will buckle before you get to -2 G's.

That "adapter" is designed to lift the hitch out of the truck, not to store it suspended on the hoist.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote