View Single Post
Old 10-12-2022, 07:14 AM   #8
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This may not be the "scientifically approved and engineering tested" method, but it's what I do and my reasoning:

I always check my tire pressure in the morning before we tow. I adjust the tire pressure to the maximum sidewall pressure, which I've found is where my trailer tows best and I get the best performance from my tires. I do not check them again until the next morning, again, before we tow.

During the day, every time we stop I "shoot the tires, hubs and spindle" for temperature with a HF digital thermometer. What I'm looking for is any "wide variance in temperature between the wheels ON THE SAME SIDE. As an example, if one tire ON THE SAME SIDE is 95F and the other is 98F, that's OK. I'd expect to see a similar temperature span on the hubs on that side and on the spindle on that side. As long as they're similar, I move to the other side and repeat.

I expect that the "sunny side" will be several degrees hotter than the "shady side" when towing. I've seen anywhere from 10F to 25F warmer on the sunny side. So, that's not a problem and I'd expect a similar variance as on the shady side between the tires, hubs and spindles.

Expect that if you're towing at 70MPH on the interstate and use the brakes to slow to a stop at the rest area truck parking, when you pull in, get out and "shoot the tires" the rubber may be close to the last check, but the hubs may well be significantly hotter because of the "hard braking you just did in slowing down". So the "temperature difference on the hubs when compared to the last check" may be significantly different, but again, as long as both hubs on that side are similar, it shouldn't be a concern and again, the "sunny side" will be warmer than the "shady side"....

The objective, at least for me, is to identify any significant (25 to 50 or more degree) difference between the tires, hubs or spindle ON THE SAME SIDE. If I see that happen, then I investigate to find a reason.

Otherwise, I'll start tomorrow with the same pressure check, tires set to sidewall pressure before towing and begin the temperature checks at every stop along the route.
the engineering thing is an "occupational hazard", sometimes i just can't help myself. maybe next year when i retire i can turn that side of my brain off - maybe. i also see the difference on the TPMS for tires sitting in the sun vs. the shady side of the truck and trailer. What HF digital thermometer do you use, i think that should be my next purchase
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote