View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennydj2 View Post
I have a 2017 Alpine AL 3651 RL fifth wheel, it has two AC units, Zone 1 is main and Zone2 is Bedroom. Zone 2 options are only for AC or Fan. The options on the Dometic thermostat for Zone 1 are COOL, AUTO, HP (Heat Pump), FURN and FAN. My question is ....... what does the AUTO function do ? I have heard it will switch from AC to HP or back if needed ....... I have heard it will switch from HP to FURN if too cold for HP..... and have heard it only works with AC and will adjust the fan speed as needed. Any help on how AUTO function works will be appreciated......Thanks for the Help
The auto mode may be good if your in a climate with wide temp swings. Maybe mountains or desert where it’s cold at night but gets pretty hot during the day. Or if your away from the rig for long periods of time and you want to maintain a set temperature both for heat and cool.
For instance if you left it on “cool “ and went away for a week and it got really cold while you were gone then nothing would come on because the cooling set point is satisfied but it may get very cold in the rig. And likewise for heat but the opposite temp swing.
In residential systems with “auto” changeover I only program auto mode for elderly or disabled persons that have a hard time getting to the thermostat to make changes seasonally.
In commercial establishments it’s used more frequently because they often have a lock on the thermostat to discourage people in the office from constantly raising and lowering the thermostat to satisfy individual needs.
One thing to consider is you give away more precise control of temperature in the rv or home because in auto mode the set pints are moved out 2 deg above your requested temp and 2 deg below before either unit will kick on or some variation of that to keep your ac and heat from competing with each other and short cycling

Also don’t confuse auto changeover with the fan auto setting. That merely brings the fan on automatically when the furnace or ac comes on and shuts off when either does as well.
The auto changeover would usually be in the system menu with heat cool or auto
The fan menu would usually say fan on or auto and maybe a circulate option at a lower speed