View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #44
LewisB

Jonathan,
I think you are doing a great job investigating the capabilities of your rig; overall it looks like you are probably ok. There are still some items that you may want to check off your list:
  1. Front Axle Weight Rating = ? [Includes impact of ALL payload applied to front axle. This is important because your WDH actually transfers hitch weight onto both truck axles as well as the trailer axles. The more torque applied to the WDH bars causes the weight applied to the truck to move onto the forward truck axle.]
  2. Rear Axle Weight Rating = ? [Includes impact of ALL payload applied to rear axle.]
  3. Some folks weigh their rig 3 times [the 3rd weight with the trailer connected and the WDH torque bars "loose" in order to measure the impact of the actual weight distribution hitch.]
  4. Tire Capacity vs. axle load - all 4 axles = ? [Tires are rated at listed pressure. If you plan to run them softer for a smoother ride, then the tires must be derated per manufacturer.]
  5. Have you picked up on the need for a TPMS and EMS for your new trailer in your reading on the forum? These are expensive items but both relate directly to safety of your family and will potentially save you thousands of maintenance/repair costs in the future.
  6. Recommend a "Family Meeting" in the trailer prior to your first trip to discuss location of fire extinguishers, first aid kit, emergency exit, and how to use the emergency exit windows.
There may be other things I've forgotten. Once again, my congratulations on wanting to get all of this straight to insure your rig is legally compliant and your family is safe! Blessings to you!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote