View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #12
jxnbbl

Our why....

Covid, extra space, introduce the grandchildren to camping, travel/Disney (probably in that order).

Covid - our youngest daughter is an ICU nurse and we promised our children we wouldn't fly/stay in hotels to travel from NH to AL to our son's wedding last month. Her father is "compromised" and they canceled their '200 person wedding' to only be with the parents staying at a nice large house on a lake. We all got tested prior and we just 'stayed in our bubble' (what we call our camper) for the entire trip.

Covid part2 - we are fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) enough to own family property with my siblings. These are in vacation spots and is a congregation spot for a week here/there in the summer. As the children all got older with their own families, it probably is more like a petri dish with covid. Anyways the camper in the driveway expands the living space.

Covid part3 - The same can be said about our own house. We live in a vacation spot and everyone loves to visit. Due to our septic setup, we have easy access onsite dumping. Anyways it expands the living space. The first person that actually used out trailer was a neighbors mother in our driveway. The couple just had a new baby, the mother wanted to visit to help but not stay in the house. The bullet was the perfect solution.

We now have 4 grandchildren although our children grew up exposed to camping at campgrounds in New England. None of their spouses have...so it is a good way to introduce them.

We additionally have not travelled that much outside my business trips in the US or the family "fly to vacation". One place we especially enjoyed as a family was Disney...but it is ridiculously expensive in terms of admission. So the trailer provides my wife and I freedom to do some exploring in the local "off season" (read non-ski season). When we plan a trip to Florida on the way home we could setup in Fort Wilderness for say 2 weeks and then family members can come to stay with us. The sites allow a trailer + tent so that the grandchildren can even get some 'tenting experience'. If their parents want to stay in a hotel, fine, we'll take the kids. The other aspect of a longer stay that is advantageous is that the admission prices are discounted quite a bit on the 5-10 day stays. Where it costs say $125/day for 4 days admission....it costs "only" $200 more for 10 days admission. We always enjoyed the "cabins" at Fort Wilderness when our children were young.

Anyways one 16 day trip under our belts for these newbies.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote