View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
Just because your buying NEW does not mean you do not need to GET DOWN AND DIRTY! I wish I had known this when I took home my BRAND NEW 2018 Minnie Winnie (yes, wrong forum, but this is important to all!) 4 months ago. When I say this I mean be sure to GET DOWN AND CRAWL UNDER THE RIG and look for rust and corrosion. Check out my pics and you will see partially of what I found after I took home this brand new motorhome that Winnebago says is NOT a "warrantable item" and now neither they nor CW will do anything about it. Winnebago blames CW for NOT washing the underneath when they received the unit, and CW just doesn't care.... And now I'm learning I can't even go to small claims court since neither of their corporations are registered in my state? and I will need to go the expensive attorney route. I'm on this forum looking for suggestions on not only the best way to fix this problem, but also ideas on how to get either CW or Winnebago to fess up that this is NOT just surface rust but something THEY need to address since this rust is now deteriorating the metal panels they have added to the framing. I too, will never buy new again and certainly not from Winnebago or Camping World.Attachment 19718

Attachment 19719

Attachment 19720

Attachment 19721

Some things come to mind looking at this:

You say it is a new 2018. It is still 2018; that kind of rust deterioration didn't happen in the short time it sat on CWs lot in my experience.

I don't live in an area with lots of salt but I find it hard to believe that the first protocol of a dealer acquiring an RV from a manufacturer is to go under it and wash the underbelly. I could be wrong but it doesn't happen anywhere I've been.

As you mentioned, we all have a responsibility to "trust but verify" the integrity of a unit before we take possession. That apparently didn't happen so it's hard to lay ALL the blame on CW and Winnebago.

As advanced as that rust is (as it looks in the pics) I almost think the unit/frame was just left sitting in the elements for an extended period during manufacture or ???

Bottom line, I think your beef is with Winnebago and I'd definitely be pulling their strings. For them to say all that would have been prevented had CW washed the underbelly is ludicrous.

On the other hand, if hat fight is going to get crappy there are several products on the market that will eliminate the rust and let you start with a fresh coating (hopefully). Unfortunately it falls on you to do the work and invest the time, but, like so many have found, that is what often times happens when we buy a new RV. Good luck on getting a resolution.

https://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Re...Chart-W22.aspx
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote