View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #25
Army Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
There are 10"x2 1/4" 4400# brake assemblies by Dexter. However the 4400# models have a different mounting hole pattern than mine. The Dexter model that has my bolt pattern (2 7/8" x 2 7/8" square) is for a 3500# axle.

Is this the brake assemblies you used? If so, do you know model # of what was used and also what machining was needed on the drum?

Did/Are you considering axle replacement to avoid future parts issues?

Thanks!
I actually found these brake backing at NAPA.
They were the 3500# 10 x 2 1/4 just like the 4400s. I had about half wear on the old pads and since our trip was going into the mountains, I decided to change the brakes and I also installed new bearings. Yes, these were the 3500# backings and did NOT fit the 4400# axle. This caused me to strip all the pads, spings and magnets and put those on my original backing. Hope this part helped.
The bearings I could also get from NAPA but found the at a local trailer supple. No biggie there.
The drums were still in good shape so I did not change them. I actually did not even try to look for drums so I am not sure what I will tun into there.

Until seeing all of this discussion, I didn’t think about swapping axles but not out of the question if there are no replacement parts. I may send Keystone a note and see what they have to say about the problem of parts being obsolete as well.
The only thing I would see as a problem is the frame. These things are not built to much of a standard from what I have seen and from so much discussion of everything from tip to tail. So making the suspension above the frame standard, I would wonder if the frame up would hold together. Lol.
Seriously, just keep in mind that if you plan axles, you will need to change/modify the hangers too. The next size axles assembly will need to have the proper spring size as well. And they will be a little longer the the current springs.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RLI
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote