View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 05:14 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
A friend of mine has a 2012 Camaro, the AC quit working and he took it to the mechanics I use... They told him they would not fix the car as it had a leak in the evaporator and replacing that required removal of the windshield, so they could get to the bolts to remove the dash.

He took it to a Chevy dealer and they told him if the windshield crack when they removed it... it would be his expense to replace.

Guess what... $600 for the new windshield and $2600 total for the repair.

Someone should be shot for a crappy design like that.

-Brian
Back in the mid 1960's I went to WV with my father to see his brother who ran the motor shop for the WVSP. They had Dodge cars then and I recall my uncle opening up the repair book on replacing the heater core. Step 1. Remove front bumper. Step 2. Remove right front fender. Step 3. Remove inner fender..... He fired up the acetylene torch and cut out the front of the heater box. He made a tin patch to cover it but later they and other car mfgs sold pre- stamped patch kits.

Early Mustangs had holes tapped for zero grease fittings in the upper A arms. Problem was you couldn't get to them. Solution? Burn 2 holes in the shock towers to install them. Many "pony cars" of the Era required a contortionist to get out rear spark plugs if a big block v8 was stuffed under the hood. And the list goes on and on. Point is. Burying items that will fail in difficult to access areas is as old as the industries themselves. Take a look at the way most cars trucks were built in the early 19 hundreds. The brake master cylinder was under the floor even though the engine compartment was roomy with a 4 or 6 cyl living there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote