View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Same here. My concern is coverage across the country. My hotspot using Verizon works well, I'm not sure what StarLink does/can do.
Our Verizon MiFi is a 3G device as is our "home phone". Verizon sent us a notice that Jan 1, 2023 they will no longer be supporting 3G service in our area. The 4G/5G "home phone device" has far more negative reviews than positive reviews and the 4G MiFi, while it will work here, has very poor reception in our area, so it'll work in the trailer when we travel, but won't work well for a home backup system. Our Frontier DSL line is about as "antiquated" as any system anywhere and is barely faster than the old 28.8 dial-up modems.

So, we're looking to replace the MiFi, upgrade the home phone and while we're at it, maybe get some decent internet bandwidth to boot. We had HughesNet satellite internet, but with the lag, DW can't use it to teach (she is an adjunct professor at DeVry University). Right now, when she's lecturing online, I'm "forbidden" to use any bandwidth on our DSL setup.... So, I use the MiFi, but without it as a backup, which looks like a problem with the new systems, StarLink may be an answer for home, plus we can take it on the road when we travel.

Worth checking it out when we get back home.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote