Thread: Hi from Oregon
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 05:14 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1236 View Post
It’s really all ok. I totally do appreciate the feedback and I promise I will scale everything to make sure I’m ok until I get a 350/3500. I know I’m close to and can very well be at my limit on truck payload if I’m not careful to load it correctly and it does make me nervous as I would never put me, my family, nor other drivers at undo risk. My plan is to weigh it before we head out for one short trip before I winterize it for the winter, then start looking for a new truck. Given the short supply of new and long lead times, I’ll likely have to final a lower mileage used and take a $$ hit. It is what it is. I’ve already talked to my fleet dealer at the Ford Dealership and he chuckled at ordering one for spring delivery.
While the thread has concentrated on weights it's not the only concern. Camping trailers are large boxes with a lot of wind resistance. On a long trailer you have more sail area. If you look at the hull of a sailboat you'll see a deep keel under it which most likely contains considerable weight. The purpose is to counter the forces of the wind pushing on the sail. Without it the boat would easily flip over in a side wind.

Tow vehicles obviously don't have keels so a quartering or perpendicular wind will extert force just like a sail. This results in sway. The heavier the truck and the stiffer the sidewalls of the truck tires the less sway will effect your ride, steering, and safety. IMO and personal experience the 1/2 ton trucks aren't up to the task of towing a box of much over 25'. There's insufficient weight, the frame flexing is too excessive, and P rated tires instead of LT tires are too "squishy". Adding LT tires, air bags, or other suspension components is simply putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Stay safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote